Sunday, August 30, 2015

LED Table - Attaching LED Strips To Standard Table



Hi guys! I just finished upgrading my table. I have attached LED strips around it and also behind my monitor. At first I thought it's just for aesthetics purposes but as I go through YouTube, I found that it has other benefits. I'll provide details and links below if you wish to do the same project.

As I write this article, my room is entirely dark and the only thing that's lit up is my computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse and my LED table! Yup, I don't seem to experience that nauseous feeling when I stare at my overly bright monitor. Before attaching LED strips behind my monitor, I used to feel very nauseous since the entire room is dark and my retina is focused on the overly bright monitor. Yes, I do get nauseous even when the monitor is at 0% brightness. I'm currently using a 27 inches IPS monitor from ASUS model VX279H. Yes, the 0% brightness is still very bright and makes me nauseous when entire room is dark! But, with my recent installation of LED strips behind the monitor, I don't seem to feel  nauseous anymore. The back is lit up and my eyes seem to accept the balanced brightness from my monitor screen to the back of the monitor and the surrounding lights of the table.

I'm going to show you how I did it. I didn't get to take pictures step-by-step but these are the things I got:

  1. A 5 meter LED Strip, color white.
    1. I think I got the 5050 LED since it's brighter.
    2. I got a packaged LED Strip that already have a power adapter.
  2. Soldering iron and solder.
  3. Red and Black wire for connecting cut LED strips.
  4. A plastic corrugated board.
  5. Velcro tapes, scotch tapes and electrical tapes.
  6. Scissors.

These are the steps on how I attached LED strips to my table and monitor.
  1. Initial attachment of LED strips to my table by scotch tapes.
    1. Measured how long it will take to circle around my table.
    2. Lit up the LED to see how it looks like.
    3. Final attachment to the table.
  2. Positioned my monitor for the extra LED strips (extras are still attached to the table)
    1. Measured and cut the plastic corrugated board.
    2. Attached Velcro tapes to the monitor and the plastic board.
    3. Initial attachment of LED strips to the plastic board.
    4. Initially attached plastic board with LED strips to see how it looks.
  3. Cut extra LED strips from the table
    1. Final attachment of extra LED strips to the plastic board.
    2. Measured distance from table to monitor and cut the Red and Black wire
    3. Solder Red wire to the (+) of the LED strip and Black wire to the (-) of the LED strip
      1. Solder wires to the main LED strip on table
      2. Solder wires to the plastic board for monitor
  4. Power on and test how it looks. 


I tested it and it looked amazing! But then, I realized that the middle drawer of my table was blocked by the LEDs. So, I had to cut the middle LEDs. Then, I soldered and routed the wires around. The extra LED strip taken from the middle was then attached to the back of the table for extra lighting effect. So yes, I had to re-solder the wires from the back! HAHA It took me several hours to finish the entire project because I was too hesitant to do the soldering. I didn't want to make a mistake. But in the very end, I did by miscalculating the middle drawer! HAHA!

Final Attachment of the LED for Monitor
Velcro tapes installed to be attached to the monitor
Initial lighting behind the monitor
The extra LED strip from the middle is installed


I am so enjoying my upgraded table!





These are my Instagram posts:

Left or right? Huehue #led #ledtable #pcmasterrace #glow #lights

A photo posted by Thesabel Tuto (@thesabeltuto) on





LINKS:
Balanced brightness idea here.
How to install LED strips here, here, and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment